Thursday 3 June 2010

Eurovision 'vote for your neighbour' Contest

If you're European you probably fall into one of two categories regarding the annual song contest. You either anticipate it and huddle round the TV to indulge in what sounds like screams from hell or, you have a life and completely disregard it. I fall somewhere in-between. This year I managed to catch the last 15mins of voting and the eventual winner; a young German girl who cannot sing and has no rhythm. Yet, much to my annoyance, the winning song has increasingly grown on me. She sounds like a bit of an amalgamation of Kate Nash and Lily Allen, 'artists' I could care less about.

The fallacy of course is that everyone votes for their neighbouring countries in a politically motivated tit-for-tat rather than based on musical talent. Naturally the UK is universally hated in Europe so we finished bottom. Again. The UK's entry was in fairness pretty shit, but no shittier than any of the others. I would however be greatly intrigued to see what would happen if we entered someone like the Arctic Monkeys or Oasis to compete against Europe's finest. Would they be judged on ability or the fact they're associated with an island nation that enjoys bombing camels and tents? Anyhow, I dunno, there is 'something' alluring about this Lela. Decide for yourself...

0 comments: